Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is liposuction very painful?

Liposuction is usually not very painful. Judging pain following surgery is very difficult since everyone’s threshold for pain is different. Most patients feel that the discomfort following liposuction procedures is much less uncomfortable than what they expected. Generally the pain is not judged as being major or severe. The pain is most often described as minor or moderate in nature. You will have a prescription for a pain medication strong enough to relieve your postoperative discomforts.

2. What will the areas look like when the dressings are removed?

When the dressing is removed you may see some bruising, swelling, molding from the dressing and perhaps your incision may leak a few drops of blood. One side may not look identical to the other. Healing takes time and patience. Please do not be concerned. Just follow the instructions regarding what you’re allowed to do and when, and you’ll see how your treated areas evolve over the postoperative period into the desired form and contour.  

3. Does it really take 4 to 6 months to see the final result?

Actually it takes from 18 to 24 months to heal completely. By 6 months however, the majority of the essential healing has occurred and we can reassess your results and decide whether any revisions are required. Following liposuction, you will see about 60% of your result after the first month and the remaining 30-40% over the following 4 to 6 months.

4. When can I return to normal sports, exercise or driving a car?

At 4 to 6 weeks following your surgery you can return to your normal exercise and sporting activities. Always remember that a slow, progressive return to normal to optimal for proper healing. Most patients can resume driving within a day or two.  

5. When can I plan a vacation?

It is important that you be seen for your 4-5 week postoperative visit. This is to ensure you are healing as expected. After this visit, if your healing is proceeding as expected, you can leave on a vacation.

6. Can my liposuction procedure be a “one operation job” or are revisions/touch-ups required?

Imagine a surgeon that could get it 100% right every time! His clientele would be flying in from every corner of the earth. Surgery, including liposuction, simply doesn’t work this way. There are many factors involved with proper healing, not just the skill of the surgeon. The quality of the patient’s tissue, pre-existing factors effecting wound healing and the patient’s adherence to postoperative protocols are only a few parameters that will affect outcome.

The philosophy in cosmetic surgery is to always err on the conservative side – especially with liposuction. The reason is very simple. If a little fat remains following a liposuction procedure, then a minor revision under local anesthesia is usually all that is required to get the final ideal result. However, if too much tissue is suctioned and there are contouring irregularities, tethering of scars or deformities, then the solution to these issues may become more complicated and difficult to correct.

We both want your result to be ideal, perfect, symmetric and natural with scars that are so well healed you can barely see them. This is what we will both strive to achieve. But getting there may require a minor revision in some cases.

7. When can I return to normal sexual activity?

Sexual activity can resume by 3 to 6 weeks following liposuction in most cases. Some patients find they need more time – 2 to 3 months in some cases – before they feel ready.

Do you have a question that wasn't listed here? We encourage you to contact us.